31 January 2012

Paul Brittain, We Hardly Knew Ye

This morning I got word from my good friend Zach that Paul Brittain is out at SNL, effective immediately. My first response was to feel mildly hurt -- this is just like when Michaela Watkins was gone after what seemed like only 5 seconds' worth of airtime. Here I am, trying to make a new friend to watch on television, when he's just yanked out from under me like so many oriental rugs. Paul Brittain, we hardly knew ye.

I remember when Brittain was first cast. Of the four fresh-faced up-and-comers, he was the only one who erased his entire online existence as soon as the new cast was announced. Unable to scout him before the season started,* I blindly tuned into his first episode. I can't really remember how it went, except that Taran Killam and Vanessa Bayer were awesome. "But give Paul and Jay a chance, Beck," I reminded myself. "Jay will start incorporating his very good impressions into scenes, and as for Paul? Well, let's just assume Paul's got a little something stashed up his sleeve, and BOY OH BOY I can't wait to see it!" With the weird, quiet, white guy comedians, the payoff can be quite substantial. This is an advanced comedy lesson I have just taught you.

I still can't wait to see Brittain's payoff, and I don't mean that backhandedly. It's a shame that Wyndemere was the biggest character I saw the guy do in a season and a half. I loved his background work in "Les Jeunes de Paris," but it's hardly his masterpiece. Apparently he did impressions of Johnny Depp and James Franco, but these memories are scant and watery. I'm still trying to figure out what he'll be best known for during his time at SNL.

Maybe leaving SNL is going to be the best way to funnel Brittain into the project that will finally show off just how talented he is. Just like Jenny Slate, Hi Jenny, with Marcel the Shell. "Wyndemere the Hermit Crab with a Pirate Eyepatch" - that is yours for free, Paul Brittain.

I intend to gamble on you, and one day, win big.

 

*His uncle is BOB FREAKING NEWHART & I HAD A MASSIVE CORONARY WHEN I FOUND THAT OUT 20 MINUTES AGO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment