25 April 2010

Things My Phone Noticed

Living in New York, I come across strange and delightful things every day. Living in 2010, my phone has a camera in it. Et voila!

Here is a picture I took in Hoboken. It seems there's a dentist named Dr. Docktor. Fail blog, here we come!









Here is a Christmas tree that was thrown out with the rest of the post-holiday garbage. This represents the fifty other trees I saw hanging out on various curbs at the beginning of January. I thought I would start a collection of those pictures, but then it all got way too depressing way too fast.





Here is a jazz band that was playing outside my office in front of the Staten Island Ferry. The main guy is playing two trumpets at once. It was really sunny, thus a badly exposed picture. But two trumpets at once?!?!











Here is a super cute little girl I saw at the Apple Store in Jacksonville, FL. She is so little, she still has to wear the kind of glasses that are bright blue goggles, like a basketball player.










Here is a woman carrying a chihuahua that has been dip-dyed pink. Because everyone knows you don't just walk a pink dog.












Here is an ad for a book I saw on the subway. Here's hoping it makes Oprah's Book Club! How embarrassing if it doesn't.














Here is another ad I saw, but this time in a subway station. Milla Jovovich is the new face of some perfume or jewelry (why didn't I take a wider shot?),* and someone has given her a "moustache." I think this is the pinnacle of art, and it might have been the key to the thesis I never wrote in college: understanding humor through its levels of removal, from simple (a graffiti mustache) to ironic (a graffitied something else, or something similarly unexpected) back to this third level of "I know exactly what I'm doing and yet I am not quite doing it" or even "I am doing it more than you know" (the word "moustache" as a moustache).

*It's an Ann Taylor ad! I saw it again last night!


Here is my cousin's cat hanging out between the blinds and the window.















Here is a pay phone (I think) next to a deli with three bottles of 5-hour-energy discarded above it. I believe I could accurately guess what this person's night looked like, just knowing that he chugged 15 hours' worth of energy right outside the deli where he bought them and didn't have the time to throw away the evidence. Godspeed, guy.

2 comments:

  1. do you think dr. docktor ever even considered a career outside of medicine? do you think any of his family members did? i mean, do any of them really have a choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Good morning, Principal Docktor" sounds exactly as scary as "Principal Vader" from Rock & Roll High School Forever.

    ReplyDelete