12 March 2011

"Nonplussed": An Illustrated Series

Last week I expressed my frustration about popular usage of the word "nonplussed." It doesn't mean what it seems like it means. It means "confused to the point of being at a loss as to what to say, think, or do" (paraphrased from Merriam Webster). I explained a mnemonic device I invented in 9th grade, in which a man at a bar gets knocked over by a big Play-Doh plus sign because he's so perplexed at some crazy news. 

Here are a few pictures of a model I made:

 "What's that? My wife is a hammerhead shark? Are you sure?"

"But that's impossible!"

"Buh...buh...I don't..."

"Ow, a giant plus sign! It's hitting me!"

 
[At a loss as to what to say, think, or do]

May this be a mnemonic you and the world can remember always.

No comments:

Post a Comment