15 December 2009

how i met your nonsmoking mother

Last night's himym was one of those plot-free episodes that literally could have been inserted anywhere, but I personally loved watching it last night. New York cold weather smoking, what a topic. I remember passing by all the freezing smokers on my way into my freshman year dorm and thinking, "You poor idiots, look what you've gotten yourselves into this time." Yet it's basically unavoidable for them, and as time has passed, I've realized that the only real alternative to freezing to death is literally to quit smoking in winter. Yet no one does quit, and our population thins as does the crisp winter air (with smoke in it).

I appreciate that himym figures out signifiers for the maturation process (buying the DoWiSeTrePla apartment, Barney entering into a relationship, everyone's gotta quit smoking sometime), then tap dances around those maturity points to give us laughs. It's much better than their old Seinfeldian phenomena nickname ruse (e.g. "relationshipphobia!" "relationship sweater") because, while both tacks are recognizable to our real lives, I personally prefer my television shows to represent ideals that I can aspire to. I want my life to have a first real apartment, a first real career-related job, and a solid end date to all my small vices. And with the himym gang struggling towards and achieving these milestones, it feels like I don't have to be as worried that those points will never happen. So thanks, himym, for showing me what it looks like for an adult to try, fail, try, fail, try, fail, and eventually succeed. I plan to do the exact same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment